Jul 17, 2010

A Thought on Voices...

I wish I had the time to flesh this out a little more, but for now just a brief thought...

I had "Dhadhak Dhadhak" from Bunty aur Babli playing in the background and was vaguely lazing off into a nap, and woke myself up realizing that I'd just pictured the entire video for the song with Shahrukh as the star rather than Abhishek.  I guess I've gotten so used to hearing Udit Narayan sing for Shahrukh that regardless of who I knew the actual star to be, I only pictured the face that I associate with the voice.

Has that ever happened to anyone else?  Are there singers who will always correspond in your mind to a specific actor, no matter who they're actually singing for?

4 comments:

Ness said...

Yup, has definitely happened to me before - I was ACTUALLY WATCHING a film though and Udit's voice came ringing out, and I was like - WAIT - WHERE'S SHAHRUKH?

I was just SO used to him singing for Rukhie it took me a while to adjust...

Bombay Talkies said...

I think Kunal Ganjawala's singing voice sounds exactly like Saif Ali Khan's speaking voice, and anytime I hear it not only do I picture Saif, but for some reason I imagine Saif singing the song.

Some of these playback singers really amaze me with their ability to mold their voices to the actors they're singing for. Incredible talent.

Amaluu said...

YES and it's SO unlikely. When Maine Pyar Kiya first came out, I was like OMG S.P. Balasubramaniam's voice is SO WRONG for Salman Khan. Years later, after MPK, Patthar Ke Phool, Love, Saajan, Hum Aapke Hai Koun, etc. etc. I cannot get Salman out of my head when SPB sings. I've gone to several live SPB concerts and when I closed my eyes I could imagine Salman singing. Even my mental music video for certain Tamil Songs like "Priya Priya" from the old tamil movie Kattabomman feature Salman Khan (and ME, not that girl with the crazy hair from the actual video). And it's awful because SPB's voice does not suit Salman at all!

Bombay Talkies said...

@Amaluu--I try to avoid Salman Khan when possible but now I'm curious. Going to check out vids from the films you listed and see how I feel about his "singing voice."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...